Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pictures That Lie


For the Pictures that Lie assignment I chose to analyze the picture used by Harper's in 2005 that shows seven US marines above the title AWOL in America. I chose this picture because I think it is important how not only pictures themselves are altered, but also how these pictures can be used to misrepresent a title. The photo itself is clearly manipulated as one of the soldiers appears to be fading away. Obviously someone simply increased the transparency of this soldier in Photoshop. I beleive the photo was altered in this way to help draw attention to the title of the article, AWOL in America. The actual harm resulting from this photo was probably minimal, however, the use of an altered photo in order to sell a title better is a deep ethical violation more than anything else.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, the use of an altered to photo to influence and sell a title better has some ethical violations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a cool picture but I agree, they shouldn't alter it in order to sell more books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree, its amazing how much an altered photo can change the public's perception of that photo.

    ReplyDelete